Before the San Francisco Bay Bridge was built in the 1930's, the Ferry Building at the end of Market Street was a bustling center of activity for people coming into San Francisco by ferry.
After the bridge was built, the building slowly fell silent as people stopped taking Ferries. The building was converted into office spaces and there was a mezzanine built above the ground floor. The mezzanine was later removed to reveal the skylit space. The interior and surrounding area is now a Farmers Market featuring local sustainable specialty produce. Immediately embraced by local foodies, it is jammed on Saturdays when people flock there to shop.